What is a combo roof system? It’s a complete and comprehensive roofing system which includes both Thermoplastic Underlayment and waterproofing layers. The Thermoplastic Underlayment acts as an effective barrier against moisture intrusion, and the thermal insulation helps to keep the interior of the home cool during the summer months and warm in the winter months. Combining these two systems together can reduce your heating and cooling costs by up to 40 percent! Also, it is a green building alternative as it prevents additional energy usage.
- One might wonder why one would need to install roof waterproofing system. With the climate change scenario going on steadily, and the need to conserve our resources, many are turning to alternative means of energy conservation. Installing a combo roof is one such way. This system is also commonly used in areas with little or no geotextile cover. It’s a perfect storm water drain and the rainwater seepage is channeled away from the home. In the past, the combo roof system was referred to as geotextile, which made some people uncomfortable.
- Nowadays, however, the combo roof system is often called RBE (Thermoplastic Underlayment) or STP (Stripping Thermoplastic Overlayment). Though both are derived from thermoplastic, STP has the advantage of providing superior thermal insulation because it uses a thinner layer of thermoplastics. Though both are effective, only RBE has the advantage of being waterproof. This means that you won’t have to deal with leaking roof water, which can be a major issue when it rains!
- There are other reasons why you would want a combo roof system. Besides the fact that it’s a comprehensive water-resistant roofing system, the thermal insulation also provides excellent sound dampening properties.
- Thermal bridging, another property of thermal insulation, occurs when certain materials allow hot air to enter while the cold air stays close to the surfaces that aren’t heated. With a thermal insulation layer, you can dramatically reduce the amount of air infiltration through the thermal insulation, thereby significantly reducing noise – a huge factor in today’s noisy environment.
- If you’re looking for an effective, leak proof, leak-proof, water-resistant, combination roof system then the combo roof system may be just what you need. These systems have been tested over the past 25 years by engineers and industrial leaders in the construction industry. The extensive testing performed on this product has consistently found levels of failure and excessive leak resistance. You may even find that the material doesn’t show any evidence of damage.